21 January 2005

Stuff

Some exciting stuff this week, relating to my current and to my last-completed writing projects. From least through to most exciting:

3. I've received the written confirmation of the permission to use certain copyright quotations in my novella Peculiar Lives (due out in July and with a deadline of the end of this month). These are the vital context-setting quotes I was really hoping I wouldn't have to get rid of. I've also heard back from the agents of the H.G. Wells estate about the Wells excerpt I also wanted to use: it seems I can do so if I cough up £57.50 first. Hmm. I'll have to think about that one.

2. I've also had, much earlier than I was expecting, the proofs of the short story I finished back in October, "Minions of the Moon". It looks very nice laid out, and is in a lovely font as well. I've been through the proofs thoroughly, and I still think this is the best thing I've written to date. The provisional publication date is May, and given that they're getting this organised about it this far in advance, I wouldn't expect too many delays to that. No news as yet on when the publishers will be making their official announcement, but I'll be updating this blog (and my website) the moment they do.

1. But most exciting of all, I've seen the cover for Peculiar Lives, and it's fantastic. I really wish I could show it to people, but again it has to wait until the publishers (not the same ones as for the short story) make their official announcement (possibly mid-February, possibly March). It really is very effective, and manages to recreate elements from inside my head in a creepily accurate way. This is only the second cover to a book I've written all by myself, and I'm probably overreacting somewhat -- but God I'm impressed.

All in all, then, I'm feeling pretty enthused at present, and keen to finish Peculiar Lives and hand it in. No thrilling new projects on the horizon for the moment, but to be honest I'm rather looking forward to having a bit of a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please sign comments -- it helps keep track of things. Offensive comments may occasionally be deleted, and spam definitely will be.)