27 January 2006

Where All the Time Has Gone

I'm utterly exhausted currently, having spent the week working on a variety of things. These include the proposal for a short story, which at present is looking like being a quarter of the length of the short story itself (so, nothing terribly new there), and a chapter breakdown for the putative, hypothetical and in any case pseudonymous novel I mentioned a while back.

There are other reasons why I'm finding less time available for blogging at present, too, which hopefully might begin to sort themselves out over the next couple of months. I'm finding it all terribly frustrating, to be honest, as I keep having exciting ideas about stuff I want to say here.

In summary, though... well, I've been watching the excellent Life on Mars and recording Desperate Housewives, rewatching Buffy Season 4 and Six Feet Under Season 3, have finished China Miéville's Perdido Street Station and begun Christopher Priest's The Extremes, and also read the 2006 Doctor Who Annual, Alan Moore's Smax , Paul Magrs' Aisles and Armand Marie Leroi's charmingly-written yet terribly disturbing Mutants. I could write screens and screeds about any of these (with the obvious exception of Housewives Season 2 which I haven't seen yet). Maybe I'll get the time next week.

Meanwhile, here's a challenge. How many sequels to The Time Machine have been written during the last 110 years? (In book form, I mean, I'm not interested in episodes of Lois and Clark.) See how many you can come up with without reading the following...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I can think of five offhand:
  • The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter -- The "official" sequel, for what that may be worth. Conceptually more in the style of Stapledon than Wells, as Victorian humanity colonises the distant past and present-day London becomes a hive of hyperevolved posthuman machine-people directing the evolution of the universe itself.
  • The Space Machine by Christopher Priest -- One of the Priests I haven't read yet, oddly enough, although I have it sitting on my shelf waiting.
  • Morlock Night by K W Jeter -- A distinctly odd variant, where the Morlocks invade Victorian London and have to be fought of by a reawakened King Arthur.
  • The Dancers at the End of Time trilogy by Michael Moorcock, which features both the Time Traveller and Wells himself in reasonably major roles.
  • Allan and the Sundered Veil by Alan Moore -- The B-side to the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic book, a serialised text story where the Time Traveller teams up with Allan Quatermain, John Carter of Mars and Randolph Carter of Arkham, along with others whom I probably forget.
There are, as Wikipedia reveals, a number of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please sign comments -- it helps keep track of things. Offensive comments may occasionally be deleted, and spam definitely will be.)