02 September 2004

Cutting Comment

The library cards we issue to the students at work have a space for passport photos which is far smaller than the size of the photos most booths print out. This means I have to trim the photos, often down to just the head, before I can attach them to the card.

I try hard not to see this as a metaphor for the whole exam-driven educative process. As I told one student yesterday, "We have to cut you down to size so that you fit inside the box". He didn't seem to notice -- probably already had all the imagination and subtlety branded out of him during his GCSEs.

I blame Thatcher, myself. I mean, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please sign comments -- it helps keep track of things. Offensive comments may occasionally be deleted, and spam definitely will be.)