03 May 2005

Amazon, and on, and on...

I'm thinking of becoming an Amazon.co.uk Associate. This would mean that the links which currently go from my website to the Amazon pages for my books would become mini-banner adverts like this one:



...and, more significantly, that if anyone purchased a book from Amazon after going through said link, I'd get a small amount of commission on it. I've no idea how frequently people are buying my books as a result of the links on the pages, but if they are it seems a shame to be wasting an opportunity to get the occasional gift certificate out of it.

In other news, I've just finished Something Rotten, the fourth and possibly the best in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. I'm desperately jealous of Fforde's inventiveness and his ability to tell a gripping story. I could wish that it was matched by a more complex prose style, although that's just personal taste... and that his books didn't appear to be written in a hurry and inadequately proof-read. There are some basic contradictions in the book which could so easily have been ironed out -- it feels as if Fforde just can't be bothered, when mentioning a fact, to check what he's said on the subject before, in which case I can't help feeling that somebody ought to be doing it for him.

That said, Fforde in a rush is a better author than most people given the opportunity for slow and mature consideration. So I'm still jealous, and recommend the book highly. The bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please sign comments -- it helps keep track of things. Offensive comments may occasionally be deleted, and spam definitely will be.)