23 February 2005

Greenbelt Talks Online

Finally, I have my talks from Greenbelt 2004 online at www.infinitarian.com: behold "Science Fiction as the Bible" and "The Bible as Science Fiction". Behold also the now fully hyperlinked Reading List which accompanies them.

The talks have been transcribed more or less directly from minidisc recordings, so don't expect polished prose (or even vaguely coherent diction, some of the time). Getting them written up has has taken me quite a while, largely because they amount to 15,000 words between them -- although I've also added roughly 250 hyperlinks across the three pages, for ease of access to footnotes, the reading list and other relevant sections.

When reading the talks, please do bear in mind that they were written for a Christian audience (albeit an unusually broad-minded and tolerant one – Greenbelt is the only large-scale Christian venue in the U.K. where I'd expect to get away with some of the things I say here). I hope that what I have to say is nevertheless of interest to secular readers, or those of other faiths. If that's you, though, you'll have to forgive the implicit assumption in the wording that most of the audience will be of a Christian persuasion.

Putting the talks online is all part of the plan to get myself a rather more high-profile speaker slot at Greenbelt this year, which in turn is just one more stage in my programme for world domination. So it's all in a good cause.

I've also pared down the text of the short story proposal for "Sex Secrets of the Robot Replicants", as mooted earlier today. I'm thinking of possibly setting up an account with a free online search engine, so that visitors to the site can search what now amounts to over 90 pages of stuff. Does anyone have any experience of using FreeFind?

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please sign comments -- it helps keep track of things. Offensive comments may occasionally be deleted, and spam definitely will be.)