30 January 2005

Ahem...

...I do apologise for last night's manic post.

Today I decided that enough was enough. I did a last-minute fix for the minor plot implications of a historical error I'd made, checked carefully that none of the changes I made yesterday when in a not-terribly-stable state of mind were actually catastrophic, made sure that my contents page matched my chapter titles, and ran a final spellcheck. Then, even though my deadline isn't technically until tomorrow, I sent the final draft off to my editor. Hurrah.

Now I'm taking books from my "research" shelf, which I have located on the wall just above my computer monitor, and putting them back in their correct places on my other shelves. Which is remarkably satisfying, even if some of them have acquired colleagues while on the research shelf and therefore don't necessarily fit properly any more.

For the first time in about a year, I don't have an ongoing writing project, at least that anyone is paying me for. Maybe I'll get to lounge around for a few weeks watching videos and drinking tequila. (When I'm not at work, obviously. We do tend to frown on that kind of behaviour in the Library.)

Of course, I have just received a document inviting pitches for yet another short-story anthology. And I have some proposals for full-length books I want to put to a couple of publishers, plus I'm waiting to hear back about one I submitted in July or thereabouts. And I have some ideas for both mainstream S.F. and actual-mainstream novels which I want to do some work on while I'm not otherwise occupied...

...but sod it, I need a break first. Tequila it is, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please sign comments -- it helps keep track of things. Offensive comments may occasionally be deleted, and spam definitely will be.)